Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 5:19 — 4.9MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More
This week’s FitLabPGH Podcast release is a video podcast providing a look inside the FitLabPGH Snack Bin. This is what WE use to fuel our 60-90+ minute movement sessions…primarily hiking, biking, and running. If you are looking for individual advice on nutrition and food choices, we STRONGLY encourage you to consult a registered dietician.
Listen to the audio, or enjoy the Labradors and cats in the video podcast.
What is Ben looking for in a movement snack? It should be able to be stored in a pocket or pack; it is approximately 100 calories; and it doesn’t upset his stomach. For Ben, that means no stevia, monk fruit extract, or sugar alcohols. Everyone’s body is different. Experiment to find what works for you. When in doubt? Consult a registered dietician. The goal is to get outside, enjoy moving, and avoid the dreaded mid-workout bonk/crash/insert your favorite term here.
So here’s the current inventory of our Snack Bin:
- Baby food – pear, mango, spinach (Lisa has not endorsed this option)
- Mini Clif Bars – chocolate chip or crunchy peanut butter
- Whole Wheat Fig Bars from Nuts.com (individually wrapped for convenience)
- Trail Mix – make your own, or head to Trader Joe’s
- Sport Beans (Lisa’s favorite cycling snack). Want to save money? Buy Jelly Belly jelly beans
- Honey Stinger mini waffles (warning: they may crumble in a pocket or pack)
- Skratch Labs Energy Chews – Sour Cherry (2 “warnings” – they contain caffeine and they get sticky when temps get too warm)
- Papa Steve’s No Junk Raw Protein Bars – vegan and whey protein options, many flavors, all “real food” ingredients
- Infinit Nutrition Performance Coffee Cold Brew protein powder, a.k.a., protein for coffee lovers
Take home message: get outside, enjoy moving, and pack snacks to fuel your movement session. Even if you’re planning a fairly short session, be prepared…you never know when a hike or bike ride might become an outdoor adventure.
Contact Info for FitLabPGH:
We update via Facebook too!!
Movement Tips and Lifestyle Hacks – YouTube channel (posted on Instagram too)
Fill out our FitLabPGH Features form to be a FitLabPGH featured mover…or fill one out for your 4 legged movement partner (dog, cat, goat or horse!!)
Check out our sister podcast Moving2Live concise but interesting podcasts for the movement and exercise professional and amateur aficionado.